The Ricoh GRD Devotee

Dedicated to the care, feeding and use of the Ricoh GRD.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Cases for the GRD II

Sure, the Ricoh GRD II is pretty tough, said to be made of a magnesium alloy and all that, but you do need to carry it in something, don't you?

I've done my time doing the P&S in Pocket thing but this is a rather expensive camera. It would seem to me that a suitable case is in order.

Ricoh makes two, the GC-1 and the GC-2. I am sure that both fit just fine but they don't quite match the GRD II's stealthy look. The GC-2 allows you to stow the camera with the smaller of the accessory viewfinders attached.

A company called M-Rock makes a case called the Yosemite which would appear to fit the GRD II's dimensions well.

ThinkTank Photo makes something called the Modulus Pouch that looks really cool. I bought one just for fun and my only concerns are the fact that it's a little tall for the Ricoh and it's not really padded. Still, I'm going to try it for a while and will let you know how it works.

Depending on whether you like your cases to fit loosely or snuggly you may want to check out Waterfield. They make beautifully made cases right here in California, but you will pay for them. My only issue with them is their lack of a traditional belt loop on the back of the case. Hey Gary...not everyone is hip enough to have a carabiner clipped to their pants!

I am planning a couple trips for this summer and I think I'll pick up one of those neato Pelican micro cases. Either the 1010 or the 1020 will fit the Ricoh. My thought is that a real hard case would offer superb protection inside of a suitcase or backpack where a soft case wouldn't provide complete protection.

It would appear that the following Lowepro cases will fit the GRD II:

Terraclime 30
Apex 20AW
Rezo 30
Tasca 20
D-Pods 30
Ridge 20

I'm looking into products from Tamrac and Case Logic to see if they offer anything interesting for the Ricoh.

Please let me know what you use to protect your GRD II and also what's worked well and not so well.

2 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2009 at 12:45 PM , Blogger FFT said...

    Lowerpro Apex PV fits GR-D models with GV-1 attached and GX series with EVF attached. It's my preferred case for my GR-D and GV-1, also fits the tiny travel charger with spare battery at the same time, though just barely.

     
  • At May 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM , Blogger EricSim said...

    Hi Paul,

    Any update to which case suited well for your GR II?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home